Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thing 5

For me, having assignments integrated into a blog where students can see each other’s work and learn to participate and share information about any subject is fascinating. I see myself as being just a click away from actually doing it. Joining a classroom from another region or country would also be a wonderful collaborative experience for students. I like the idea of student wikis, and I am anxious to create one myself to organize information linked to my district’s website. Another idea that sounds like good plan to me is a wiki spreadsheet to maintain a curriculum map of topics so that the staff can support each other with ideas and shared resources. The fact that everything can be web based makes it easier not having to deal with specific software complications or differences in computers. How nice to have an application work smoothly when you want to work on a project.

I began to thing about the excuses that you may not hear from students anymore when they have web-based assignments to complete.
“I lost my homework.”
“I don’t have a pencil.”
“I forgot my book.”
“I didn’t get what we were supposed to do.”

I have been thinking that I’m getting comfortable with the concept, the language, and some applications of Web 2.0 until I saw Web 3.0 mentioned.
Hold it, stop, wait a minute, or a day or week! I am trying so hard to catch up!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I am really excited about the prospect of my students being able to collaborate with students from around the country or world. Think of all the fun and interesting things they can learn.

I also couldn't agree more if assignments move to a more web based concept...where will all the "the dog ate my homework" excuses go? :)