Sunday, February 8, 2009

Thing 23

My "plan of attack" for the 2008-2009 school year is well underway with web-based applications. I have two wikis for the Ida Schools, one contains all of the CraftPlus writing resources that have been developed for grades K-8, and the second is an informational curriculum wiki that will eventually be linked to the Ida Schools website. In addition, I have numerous spreadsheets of the student data organized on Google Docs for teachers and school improvement teams. My PowerPoints are on Slideshare, and student project photos are on Picasa. I plan to include podcasts on the CraftPlus Wiki.

I have been sharing what I have learned in local PD sessions, and email invitations. The entire Ida staff receives email from me to access information on Google Docs. For specific purposes,I typically call a teacher and explain what I am about to send them. Many educators are now organizers of their own. I don't know what is next in terms of what I want to learn about teaching and learning in the 21st century and Web 2.0, but I didn't know what to expect with the first 23 Things class. I know what I am extremely comfortable doing, and I know my challenges. I want to create motivating DVDs for students with music and video and/or digital pictures. I want to explore the many additional options for using Google Docs. I want to share with others and learn something new as often as possible.

How can we best stay connected as a "PLN" or how can you create a PLN with your colleagues back at your building?

Email is still my primary mode of communication. I appreciate being in a group or Listserve to hear from others. I would like to know when the next 23 (24 to 46) Things class is going to be offered. What I have found to be so special in opportunities like Jim's class is not just being introduced to new things, but the discovery of many additional things along the way in the process.

I have never enjoyed learning in any other situation as much as I have as I progressed through 23 Things. Thank you, Jim, for your expertise and talent in developing this class and sharing it with all of us!

No comments: